Monday 29 October 2012

Hong Kong…Home away from home

Hello all,

I have recently just completed a successful business trip to Hong Kong and would like to share my experiences with you. You see, Hong Kong holds a special place in my heart as I spent many years living and working as a fashion model.
It's a vibrant and fascinating city that
has has perhaps the strongest influence on my design philosophy. For this trip I decided to go against protocol and stayed in the new Hotel Icon which is located in Kowloon (For those who are not familiar with the geography of Hong Kong, the city consists of Hong Kong island, Kowloon and New territories)

Hotel Icon
The reason I stayed in the Hotel Icon was because I was fascinated by the interior design concept which was a collaboration of prominent designers, architects and fashion designers. The result was an ultra modern and sophisticated hotel, my highlight being the stunning vertical garden in the lobby.

Hotel Icon lobby

One cannot visit the city without indulging in the food, fashion and nightlife. With over 3,000 restaurants to choose from, it would take a lifetime to sample all the culinary delights of the island; on this trip I was keen to get a taste of both global and local dishes. My first stop was Aqua in Kowloon. This recently David Collins refurbished restaurant/bar combo is impossibly chic with it's stunning tripple height setting overlooking Hong Kong island. The food also didn't disappoint with a menu offering Italian and Japanese dishes. I have to say this restaurant completely overshadows it's London outpost design and food wise.


Aqua

Next on my list a little closer to home in my hotel was the Above and beyond restaurant designed by Terrence Conran serving Cantonese food. View was stunning and food was to die for. Possibly my favourite meal was from The Chairman, which was a no frills back street restaurant with some of the best Chinese food you would ever have. My waiter Artu was very attentive and was rather helpful in suggesting dishes to suit my delicate stomach. The service was excellent and I highly recommend this place, if you are into experimental oriental cuisine. Others on my list include the impossible to get a table Italian restaurant 8 1/2 Otto E Mezzo Bombano and Liberty private works.

8 1/2 Otto E Mezzo Bombano

The Chairman

On to the nightlife, which I'm sure you are dying to hear about. The speakeasy/prohibition era bug seems to have spread to this part of the world and for me the best interpretation of this concept is 001, located in a secret location. This modern speakeasy is accessed through a dark, dingy alley where a gentle knock on the door leads to an invitation or a rejection into this glamorous bar. 001 has a brilliantly executed fake shop front disguised as a wine shop. Upon closer inspection, one realises that not only are there no staff in this shop, but the door bell is fake and no one ever answers the door, the real entrance is on the other side of the road.

I was lucky enough to be given a tour of prohibition era Lily and Bloom and Socialito by Ben Ku of Buzz concepts. Lily and Bloom is very chic with a throwback New York diner vibe, while Socialito was definitely up my street. This diner-cum-taqueria taco truck in the middle of Central, has a restaurant/bar/nightclub brilliantly hidden behind the kitchen side door. Inside the attention to detail is incredible and for a moment one feels like you are in a back alley Mexican bar listening and dancing to latin tunes.

Socialito

Other fun bars included the Tom Dixon designed Tazmania ballroom (I loved the space age entrance), Sevva, Salon de `Ning, The Quinary, Mo Bar and Cafe Grey in the Upper House (Still my favourite bar).

Tazmania ballroom

Cafe Grey

Salon de Ning

Sevva

The highest bar in the world, Ozone at the Ritz Carlton was quite an experience I have to say. I was initially very excited to visiting the bar when I read about it in a magazine a few months back. Unfortunately I wasn't too impressed by the decor (Think futuristic Flintstone), but the views and the atmosphere of the place was quite mind blowing.

Ozone bar @ The Ritz Carlton

Now to fashion, my first love and the inspiration behind most of my designs. The usual suspects are in abundance in Hong Kong, but one place that caught my attention was Harvey Nichols in Pacific place. The buyer has a good eye and the layout and interiors were perfect. I couldn't stop drooling at the beautiful backdrop of the store.

Harvey Nichols

Joyce in Central and Lane Crawford are a must for all fashionistas alongside the numerous designer stores littered around the island. Luxury shopping is so abundant that you could literally buy a Burberry coat or a Ferragamo wallet in the underground on your way to catch a train!

Overall, my trip to Hong Kong was a success as i met with a few key individuals in the hospitality and property industry. I hope to be back with my team shortly.

No comments:

Post a Comment